Although most of you already know what is going on with Spencer, I thought I would do a quick update, so that I would remember the whole process we went through. On December 6th Spencer finally got his MRI. We went up to Primary Children's in the Riverton Hospital to have it done, because he had to be put to sleep for the procedure. I did pretty good to hold it together. The only time I struggled was when they were putting him in the machine. It was really hard for me to see my child laying lifeless in a machine. It only took about 40 minutes and he came out of it really fast. I went to Mike's mom's house until he fully came out of it and we could drive home. The next day, I called the Orthopedic surgeon to find out the results. They told me they would leave a message for him and that it would probably be around 4pm that he called me. ( I wasn't very happy that I had to wait all day, I mean come on!) Later on in the morning, my pediatricians office called me with the results. They told me that it was a lesion above his knee. I asked if that was some sort of break, and they said yes. Later on, I got a call from the Orthopedic Surgeons assistant. He also told me that it was a lesion, and that they would x-ray it in 6 months. I was seriously like...that's all you're going to give me??? I then called my pediatricians office, and they scheduled an appointment with an Orthopedic Surgeon at Primaries. We went up there on the 11th. The first thing her assistant said was that the cast had not been put on right. Yes, and orthopedic surgeons office had done it, and it wasn't right. They had casted it so that he was walking on his toes, and his break was right above his ankle. So the first thing they did was x-ray his leg and then take his cast off. They gave him a boot so that he could take baths, and the bones had healed enough that it was ok to do that. She looked at the first x-rays we had gotten of the growths and immediately she said that it was a fibrous cortical defect called non ossifying fibroma. She was completely not worried at all! She said that kids get them all the time, but we don't usually see them, because most kids don't break their legs as often as Spencer.(: It has to do with their growth plates. When a growth plate opens up, a lot of times these will show up. when the growth plate closes, they go away. I asked her what a lesion was, since that is what we had been told before. She told us that that is what Drs. say to sound smart. It is a completely general term. I seriously cannot tell you that weight that was taken off of my shoulders! I had gone from thinking the worst to having a completely healthy child. She wasn't worried about the breaks, since there were good reasons that they were broken (dang big brother)(: Anyway, I know that our Heavenly Father is watching out for us. I know that he loves us and wants to take care of us. I know that the outcome is not always going to be exactly how we would like it to be, but I am SO grateful that it was this time.
Monday, January 2, 2012
Spencer Update
Although most of you already know what is going on with Spencer, I thought I would do a quick update, so that I would remember the whole process we went through. On December 6th Spencer finally got his MRI. We went up to Primary Children's in the Riverton Hospital to have it done, because he had to be put to sleep for the procedure. I did pretty good to hold it together. The only time I struggled was when they were putting him in the machine. It was really hard for me to see my child laying lifeless in a machine. It only took about 40 minutes and he came out of it really fast. I went to Mike's mom's house until he fully came out of it and we could drive home. The next day, I called the Orthopedic surgeon to find out the results. They told me they would leave a message for him and that it would probably be around 4pm that he called me. ( I wasn't very happy that I had to wait all day, I mean come on!) Later on in the morning, my pediatricians office called me with the results. They told me that it was a lesion above his knee. I asked if that was some sort of break, and they said yes. Later on, I got a call from the Orthopedic Surgeons assistant. He also told me that it was a lesion, and that they would x-ray it in 6 months. I was seriously like...that's all you're going to give me??? I then called my pediatricians office, and they scheduled an appointment with an Orthopedic Surgeon at Primaries. We went up there on the 11th. The first thing her assistant said was that the cast had not been put on right. Yes, and orthopedic surgeons office had done it, and it wasn't right. They had casted it so that he was walking on his toes, and his break was right above his ankle. So the first thing they did was x-ray his leg and then take his cast off. They gave him a boot so that he could take baths, and the bones had healed enough that it was ok to do that. She looked at the first x-rays we had gotten of the growths and immediately she said that it was a fibrous cortical defect called non ossifying fibroma. She was completely not worried at all! She said that kids get them all the time, but we don't usually see them, because most kids don't break their legs as often as Spencer.(: It has to do with their growth plates. When a growth plate opens up, a lot of times these will show up. when the growth plate closes, they go away. I asked her what a lesion was, since that is what we had been told before. She told us that that is what Drs. say to sound smart. It is a completely general term. I seriously cannot tell you that weight that was taken off of my shoulders! I had gone from thinking the worst to having a completely healthy child. She wasn't worried about the breaks, since there were good reasons that they were broken (dang big brother)(: Anyway, I know that our Heavenly Father is watching out for us. I know that he loves us and wants to take care of us. I know that the outcome is not always going to be exactly how we would like it to be, but I am SO grateful that it was this time.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

























3 comments:
I am so relieved that everything turned out so well. come visit.
Thanks for the update. You have been in my prayers. I am thankful it turned out to be nothing big. Now hopefully no more broken bones.
Post a Comment